Walk Leader: Graham Harris
Date: Sunday 24th June 2012 2:00p.m.
Start & finish point: Usk Island car park (SO373012) Postcode NP15 1SY.
Distance: Approx 7 miles
Time to walk: Approx 4 hours
Description: The walk follows a way-marked route to Coed Duon (Blackwood) and then footpaths to Cefn Ila, 66 acres of ground now owned by The Woodland Trust and regarded as one of the best pinetums in the country. We then walk down into Llanbadoc, all the while skirting the Usk Inlier, before passing Alfred Russel Wallace’s cottage.
We stop briefly at Usk Island before following the Abergavenny road and River Usk (home of swans, herons, salmon and kingfishers) to Beech Hill turning inland to Park Woods (part of the Usk Castle estate). If we’re lucky we may spot wild boar and we will see the site of the Battle of Usk in 1405 before returning to the Usk Island car park via an old railway track.
Why not join us at the end of the walk at the Usk Rural Life Museum for a cider tasting, jazz band and BBQ evening?
Terrain: Undulating in parts. Several stiles and gates. Some road walking.
For your rucksack: Snacks and a drink. Binoculars to spot wildlife.
Price: £5 per ticket